A yard management system is different than any other system you will implement. It will impact your entire operation. From your third party guard service at the gate up to the corporate level executives wanting data on the fleet and network of trailers. This means before implementation time must be spent to gather process level information. This step can sometimes call out very interesting facts about your operation, especially shift to shift.
Common pitfalls you can avoid if you see them coming:
- Holes in data collection.
- Pro Tip: Include everyone who comes in contact with a trailer or looks up information about trailers in the information gathering phase. There is no role too small, it is vital to identify any and all processes surrounding the trailers coming into your facility.
- Trailers being dropped anywhere and everywhere on the yard.
- Pro Tip: Do not change the names of the areas in your yard. It may sound like a good time to reorganize, but will only lead to confusion and frustration.
- All trailers show loaded or empty in the yard. Unreliable information.
- Pro Tip: Identify Roles and Responsibilities. Sometimes one group doesn’t know where their responsibilities end and another’s begin.
Most importantly, have a go live plan; depending on the number of trailers this step can make the initial go live go smooth and have you up and running in no time.
Our specialists are here to help. If you are just starting your YMS journey we will help walk you through the entire process. If you have been using Yardview for years our specialists are at the ready to make your environment better and work towards continuous improvement